Saturday 8 February 2014

Captain America - Marvel Now (Marvel Legends)

Captain America gets a new brighter and perkier look! Just look at him wearing the red, white and blue suit like crazy that it's almost visible from outer space. I bet the Chitauris are looking at it from there trembling in anxiety but seriously, my impression of this Cap is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the things here worked while some don't, and I think you already know the things that I don't find working. Still I'm glad Hasbro released this version of Cap that could ultimately open the door for Marvel Now action figures, and I tell you I got nothing but excitement.

Marvel Legends NOW Captain America

I like this new Marvel Legends packaging. Reusable, recyclable and displayable, and you don't have to go through that trouble of untying those twisty ties. It is almost as collector-friendly as those S.H.Figuarts type of packaging. One thing I don't like about it though is this bulge at the entire front which make this package hard to stand and I guess the only way to display this figure with its package is to hang it on a wall.


As you can see inside this package, Cap comes with no interchangeable hands. He doesn't even come with weapons other than his shield unlike what we got from previous Marvel Legends Captain America figures. And for my own record, this is the 5th Captain America I had after the Ultimate Captain America from last year; so I didn't really expect that I got a lot of these shield-wielding heroes in my collection. Also, he comes with a Build-A-Figure piece, Mandroid's head which we will soon get to complete by the end of March.


I always tend to praise figures with simplistic yet effective paint application like that of a Masters of the Universe figure or the Figma Link- a good example, but this figure seem to cross my spectrum. Too red and too blue. Let alone this reflective finish that made him terribly bright. I can't say the same with the shield though; the gloss is perfect! But this figure made me wish he has the same tone of colours as the Marvel Legends Ultimate Cap.


The sculpt on this Cap is above average and probably better than the ML U.S. Agent. The only issue this guy has is his peanut-sized head. Otherwise, Hasbro had done a great job with the detail around his body especially that honeycomb type of pattern on Cap's chest which really captured the Marvel Now version of him. The line work over his gloves, boots, belt and suit made him almost believable with a touch of modernity.


The best part is the articulation. He has that the same amount of joints and the same type of articulation as that of Black Panther and Hawkeye. It features all the articulation you needed to get him into a dozen of dynamic pose.


His head can turn 360 as well as move up and down. He's got a very good ab crunch and waist swivel to his torso. Each arm got a ball-hinged shoulder, bicep swivel, double-jointed elbow and a wrist that flexes and rotates. Most importantly, Cap is able to kick his legs up with his T-jointed hip and his upper-thigh can rotate. He got double-jointed knees, rotation at the boot cut and ankle rockers.


Even with some issue over the choice or tone of paint, I still quite like this figure. Maybe it's the sculpt and articulation that overshadowed his flaws. ML Marvel Now Captain America stands at 6.3 inches tall and here you can see that he's definitely smaller to the Ultimate Cap. I probably don't need another Captain America figure but maybe to add something new to my Avengers display, I'll switch between these two Caps. Of course if you're a big fan, you can display all your collection of Captain America figures.


1 comment:

  1. This is a nice Captain America i may have to change my mind and buy one now.

    ReplyDelete