Friday 4 July 2014

Falcon: Captain America- The Winter Soldier (Marvel Select)

Marvel Select Falcon
If there is one guy that I'd like to be part of the next Avengers movie, it's got to be Falcon! Falcon's character is one of a kind; making him a great addition to the roster. Although the movie got me wondering why he is stripped with one of his unique powers (i.e. bird talk) but I believe it shouldn't be importantly necessary. A guy with mechanical wings flying and swooping around while spraying loads of bullets from the sky is as spectacular as 4th of July fireworks! The absence of a 6-inch Marvel Legends version of Falcon in the Captain America Wave made me quite excited to purchase the much upscaled, more detailed Marvel Select one, but there's no guarantee that Falcon will be immune to scrutiny as I tell all the good and the bad.











Nothing has changed with the design of Marvel Select packaging. It's always the bookend style, standard type with the figure suspended visibly behind this clear plastic along with all its accessories. We got a beautiful artwork of Falcon from the movie at the side, which may be one of the reasons why some collectors still hang on to its packaging and have it displayed sideways.


But let's talk more about the figure, shall we? With or without his mech-wings, this Falcon figure look stunning! He comes with these 6-inch long wings that are removable and can easily be plugged at his jetpack. The only downside to it is that they don't have any joints or articulation that allows you to move them in varying ways. But what totally bugs me is that there are no weapons! In the movie, I know for sure he carries two semi-auto handguns but Diamond Select seem to ignore that. Though a lot of people suggested to use Deadpool's handguns but it's still a shame that such essential things are not included with this Falcon figure.


Like most Select figures, Falcon comes with a display base that you can also use as a prop. From what it looked like, it seem to be some sort of a wall from the inside of a helicarrier- I'm not too positive but the application of gray and almost silvery paint is perfect.


Speaking of paint, let's move now to how the paint job is done. Falcon's suit is primarily composed of black and different shades of gray. Even the American flag at his leg is all black and gray, which I think was also the same as in the movie. Any paint defects would not be too obvious or visible since the application and choice of colours are too plain and simple. I like the kind of brown tone used over his face and skin, though I'm not so sure about his hair. I think it should be black instead of a darker brown but it's no biggie.


Like I said earlier, you can use any handguns from either the Marvel Select or the Marvel Legends figures for Falcon. However and what's really bothersome is the way the hands are sculpted and are not in a trigger finger pose. It just seem odd to me that he's holding it like some weirdo. Another issue that this figure have are the leg guards around his calves that overlaps the ankles; rendering the articulation on the ankle joints useless.

guns and clear stand not included.

That's not the only sad part- the Marvel Select Falcon doesn't have rotation at the upper thighs and boot areas making it even more harder to pose regardless of being blessed with ankle rockers. He doesn't have rotation at the biceps, which again bothers me since I've been collecting these figures and I know most of these figures have them. The head rotates but doesn't look up. He got a waist swivel, rotation at the single-jointed elbows and at the hinged-wrists. Falcon's legs only have T-joints, double-jointed knees and as I've mentioned, ankle rockers.


This figure reminds me of the old Marvel Select days where aesthetics triumphs over functionality. The overall details and the likeness to the Anthony Mackie Falcon is accurate. However, the figure is poorly "engineered". I think Diamond Select is capable of stepping up to their game, but it seems like laziness has prevailed. I know I shouldn't be expecting more from Marvel Select figures especially when it comes to articulation but sometimes you got to wonder why they're not consistent, but a figure like the Marvel Select Falcon is an excellent display piece for 7-inch collectors.


6 comments:

  1. I like this release along with the Disney store exclusive Savage Hulk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MS Savage Hulk is probably the best rendition of a classic version of a Hulk, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna get him.

      Delete
  2. I like it! I wish the MU Movie version was this detailed and not so bland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvel Selects are all about the details. It's just the articulation that they are so stingy about.

      Delete
  3. The wings are cool but the knee pad joints looks clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got some good eyes. it looked like someone stuffed some throw pillows in front of his knees!

      Delete