Friday 11 July 2014

Black Widow: Captain America- The Winter Soldier (Marvel Legends)

Marvel Legends Black Widow (Captain America 2)
The Marvel Legends Captain America: The Winter Soldier movie Black Widow is probably the most sought out yet the most elusive action figure currently released by Hasbro. It's so elusive (and probably less-produced) that it's almost becoming frustrating for some people to find this figure. What's really making this figure a "must-have" is the fact that she has the Avengers movie Black Widow head as an interchangeable part! Collectors who are trying to complete their Wal-Mart Exclusive 6-inch movie Avengers team (also by Hasbro) must be shaking their heads. Why Hasbro, why? What are they thinking?














If you haven't seen those movie Avengers action figures (that I've mentioned) that are very much in-scale with Black Widow then take a look at this movie Hawkeye, which I've reviewed, to see which one I was talking about. Now technically Black Widow here is part of the 2014 movie Captain America Wave or the Mandroid Build-A-Figure Wave and comes with Mandroid's torso. She also utilizes the new Marvel Legends style of packaging- a windowed box with the figure and the accessories showcased in front.


One of the major highlights with this figure is the sculpt especially on her face and head. I can't say the likeness is perfect but you can see a Scarlett Johansson over it no matter which angle you look. Body proportions are well balanced and anatomically realistic. Her suit has some areas that are textured which are very good! The only thing here that grinds my gears are these two handguns and two holsters that are molded together at the side of her legs. For a character that relies heavily on firearms, Hasbro could have at least given Black Widow some wieldable handguns and a couple holsters to store it. This one is completely senseless.


I got no complains with the paint job. The combination of black and shades of gray are nicely done along with those tiny silver paint to her buckles and zippers. Also, the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on her shoulders are neatly done with some great precision. The paint job on her face, specifically the eyes may seem to make her look like she needs to go to bed but it's not a big deal and I just don't want to think of it that way. To me, it's just a stern or serious look or maybe the look of calmness.


It's a shame that she doesn't come with handguns despite having hands with trigger fingers. However, she comes with interchangeable body parts. Black Widow has a set of open palmed hands or relaxed hands and her Avengers movie head with the short and wavy hair opposing to her currently long and straightened one in the new Captain America movie. Well, what can I say!? Women are women. They always keep changing their looks.

guns and prop not included.

Like most Marvel Legends having a female body mold, the poseability is not quite that impressive. She got a ball-jointed neck that might have let her head move at any direction if it wasn't for her long stiffy hair. Although you can still get that range of movement by using the Avengers movie head. Her arms only have hinged shoulders, single-jointed elbows and rotation at the wrists with no hinges. She got diaphragm swivel, T-joints at the hips, rotation at the upper thighs, double-jointed knees and ankle hinges with pivots.


I was probably lucky when I found her first at my local comic bookstore but not totally impressed with the way Hasbro is marketing this figure. There are only a few of them that were released and they get absolutely hoarded by scalpers! Evidently if you go to eBay, you'll find how she's been ridiculously priced. But overall, this figure is solid that earns recommendations and I'd like to kudos Hasbro only for that.


10 comments:

  1. You found her! Elusive indeed, I'm still searching and being as patient as I can be since I am NOT going to pay scalper prices. I was very close once or twice.... but refrained since I still have hope that I will find her eventually and will finally complete my Mandroid BAF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was the last one I saw hanging on the shelf! It was pure luck. I never really expected to find her at my local comic book shop since most of the adults that visit there are also toy collectors like myself and so they disappear easily. Toys R Us, on the other hand, was disappointing- they never ever got a hold of these Black Widow figures.

      Delete
    2. My local target always says they have it online but they're never on the pegs. The thing about this is that once I get it I'll probably have the whole "man she wasn't THAT special" with her flaws like lack of pistols and other things that HYPED this toy up.... I just need to have her though; and the BAF isn't even something I'm terribly excited over.

      Delete
  2. She's lovely and one i have not seen locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely indeed, but she's almost like a nymph in the forest- very hard to find.

      Delete
  3. A++++ I need a 3 3/4 version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully they'll have it on a 3 3/4 version soon for those who are into MU's.

      Delete
  4. She is definitely a must have that became a must can't have. Too bad on the marketing strategy they pull out to make her scarce. If the production numbers make sense, she may be overcrowding over some corners of the world. Happy hunting for people who desire her....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Hasbro didn't realize that most of their Marvel Legends figures are consumed by adult collectors. They are too unwilling to release more Black Widows because they're afraid that little children (especially the boys) might not like her because "she's a girl" and little boys don't play with "girly girl toys". But on the contrary, most little children these days don't like action figures anymore. They love toys that comes in batteries and make sounds like "Cowabunga!!"

      Delete
    2. Oh that's another reason for them to make it special for Adult collectors.

      Delete